The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Spring Music Reviews and Previews

Spring 2024 is the season for new music releases with many artists droppingalbums and singles in March and April. Everyone has different taste in music and thereare options out there for a variety of preferences. It is always exciting to see how artists’styles evolve and grow over time. Spring’s new music releases have begun on a highnote that will hopefully continue to rise.
One of the 2000s biggest pop stars, Ariana Grande, started off March with her seventh studio album, eternal sunshine. This album was released on March 8, in themiddle of one of her biggest controversies to date. In late 2023, Grande divorced her husband of two years and began dating her Wicked co-star, being labelled as ahomewrecker. Eternal sunshine seems to reflect this tumultuous situation, the lyrics telling the story of a woman leaving one relationship and then beginning another one. While the songs showcase her strong voice, it is more low-key than her previous albums. Standouts include the reflective “eternal sunshine,” the breezy “the boy is mine,” and the confident “yes and?”
To the excitement of country fans, Kacey Musgraves dropped Deeper Well onMarch 15. It is a serene album that is lyrically and sonically more mature than her previous ones with themes of self-improvement. It leans more toward the folk side of country but is more generic and less unique than her past eras of music.
Other albums released in March are Bleachers by Bleachers, Underdressed at the Symphony by Faye Webster, Everything Everything by Mountainhead, WORLD WIDE WHACK by Tierra Whack, and Everything I Thought It Was by Justin Timberlake.
Two standout singles from March are “Goddess” by Laufey and “Alley Rose” byConan Gray. “Goddess” was released on March 6 and “Alley Rose” was released shortly after on March 8. “Goddess” is the first single released from Bewitched: TheGoddess Edition which will include four additional songs to her 2023 album Bewitched.Goddess” is a melancholy, powerful song about the downfalls of being on a pedestal.“Alley Rose” is a similarly emotional pop ballad with gut-wrenching lyrics about lost love.
“Alley Rose” is the fifth single off Gray’s third studio album,
Found Heaven. Both songsare promising signs of their creators’ upcoming projects.

Late March and April promise to be an exciting time for new releases spanningmany genres of music. Beyonce’s highly anticipated country album Cowboy Carter isset to be released March 29. Its release was preceded by the viral single “TEXASHOLD ‘EM” which surprised fans with its diversion from the star’s usual style. TaylorSwift, another pop titan, announced the release of The Tortured Poets Department,

which is expected on April 19, which falls in National Poetry Month. Additional artists
releasing music in April are Girl in Red and St. Vincent.