The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Pixar’s Quarantine Films’ Upcoming Theatrical Releases

Pixar’s quarantine films will be released in theaters beginning in 2024. “Turning Red,” “Luca,” and “Soul” were the three animated movies Pixar created from 2020 to 2022. Due to the closing of movie theaters during this time, they were only available through Disney+. They are being re-released as a way for the studio to make money, as well as to provide access for people who are not subscribed to streaming services, or for fans who simply love experiencing movies on the big screen. Additionally, these re-releases will be accompanied by short films. “For the Birds,” “Kitbull,” and “Burrow” are the titles of the newest Disney shorts. 

“Soul” was originally put on Disney+ on December 25, 2020, but was released to theaters on January 12, 2024, and is currently out. This film tells the story of Joe, a middle school band teacher, who adores jazz music. He ends up going on a journey to another realm where his soul is separated from his body. Joe learns about the purpose and meaning of life and the importance of following your passions and living to the fullest. It was well-received by critics and nominated for numerous awards such as Best Animated Feature Film and the Academy Award for Best Music. 

“Turning Red” will celebrate its theatrical release on February 9, 2024, although it was initially available to be viewed March 11, 2022, on Disney+. This animated film focuses on Mei, a thirteen-year-old girl who goes through the natural struggles of adolescence, while hiding an unnatural secret. On top of normal teenage angst, she has the complication of transforming into a large red panda when she becomes excited or emotional. Like “Soul,” “Turning Red” was also nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film.  

“Luca,” the last of Pixar’s quarantine releases, will be released in theaters March 22, 2024—three years after its original debut in June of 2021. “Luca” is set in the vibrant seaside of the Italian Riviera, where the titular main character enjoys a fun summer with his friends. His carefree vacation is interrupted by issues that arise from his secret identity as a sea monster. “Luca” was nominated for the People’s Choice Award for Favorite Family Movie. 

Pete Docter, the creative chief of Pixar commented on the reasoning behind the choice to bring these three films to theaters. He acknowledged that “it’s more expensive for a family of four to go to a theater when they know they can wait, and it’ll come out on the [streaming] platform.” However, he also added that they are “trying to make sure people realize there’s a great deal you’re missing by not seeing it on the big screen.”