The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Stay Organized in the New Year

Did you feel like all of your schoolwork was unorganized last semester? Like you could never find anassignment? Like you were forgetting to do homework assignments because they were misplaced? Somany students feel as though they could not keep their schoolwork organized during the first semester.How can you keep yourself organized? This article will outline a few different ways that you cansucceed!
BINDERSA lot of students enjoy keeping their work organized in binders and keeping each subjectseparate by using dividers. Binders are a great way to keep work organized, as they keep eachsubject with each other, and you can put the papers in chronological order. A con of usingbinders is that each paper has to be hole punched so it can go in the rungs, and binders can bevery bulky.
FOLDERSFolders are another way to organize your papers, but folders tend to be less bulky, and papers donot necessarily need to be hole punched. A downside to folders is that they cannot hold as manypapers as a binder and can get very full very fast. Folders can also degrade easier, as they can ripfrom moving along other things, as well as the pockets could possibly rip out.
CLEANING OUTCleaning out your backpack, folder, and binders is another great way to stay organized. Makingsure that no loose papers are floating around, can really keep your work cleaner. Reorganizingfolders and binders so that units are together can make studying easier and more efficient, as wellas at the end of the year, all the papers you need for each unit can be easily found when needingto study for the final.

KEEP TIME ORGANZIEDKeeping track of your time is very important in staying organized. Keeping a calendar of wheneach assignment is due can help avoid forgetting to submit an assignment. Although it soundshard, not procrastinating is a great way to stop on top. Making sure that you split up the amount

of work you do in one night can help you be more motivated to do the work. Be sure to startworking on projects before they are due, and not waiting until the night before. Making sure thatyou give yourself an ample amount of time to complete assignments, so that you can put yourbest foot forward.
TEACHER PERSPECTIVEOur very own Ms. Cashen, a study skills teacher at C. Milton Wright shared how she feels onorganization and staying ready for 2nd semester.
1.What is your favorite way to keep work organized?
Using a calendar. I like to see the big picture (whole school year). Then I look at start and end dates for the big events (like breaks or when school is out, testing, meetings, professional development).I designate tasks/projects for top priority and then what are reoccurring events. (Ear markthose that I must attend and those that I can skip) Prioritizing helps me to determine what isimportant to me. For example, family vs work, to categorize the event, then level ofimportance to me for attending and then I begin to adjust and meet deadlines etc. accordingly.
2.How do you see most students keeping their work organized?
Pocket folders. Most students have to organize their papers. Keeping them in one place for each subjecthelps. Many students have gone 100% digital, using “folders” with a clear title by subjectseems to be most effective for them. But here is where many students use a combination oforganizational strategies to help them manage their work/projects. It does seem that the moreorganized a student is the better they are at turning things in on time, understanding what theyare doing and why.
3.As a teacher, which way do you think is most effective for students?
This is where students need to have a strong understanding of what works best for them andan understanding that they may need to adjust their approach for keeping organized based onthe work at hand. Field hockey vs Science Labs, especially when both are equally important toyou, students need the confidence to know that they can count on being organized to do bothbut will need to prioritize and adjust to meet their goals for doing both successfully. What issuccess, what helps you to feel accomplished in field hockey and science, make a plan andstick to it!
4.Do you think that each student is different, and some students blend their organization ways?
Oh YES!