The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Eclipse Excitement

Recap of the Solar Eclipse

April 8th, 2024, the solar eclipse reigned over people, bringing them out of their houses to watch this natural phenomenon. This year was special, as some parts of the United States experienced a total eclipse. The sun and moon completely crossed paths, leading to complete darkness. This eclipse happens once every 375 years.

The solar eclipse is a natural phenomenon that is very science based. Our marine science and astronomy teacher, Mrs. Martin, was very helpful in answering a few questions about our solar eclipse! 

• How often does a solar eclipse happen? Partial and annular eclipses are pretty common, occurring about once a year. A total solar eclipse is less common happening around every year and a half. But what makes a total eclipse so special is the projected eclipse path is so small you have to be in the exact right location to see it since they are not visible worldwide. 
  • Why does the solar eclipse happen?  We live in a special time in history when the sun and the moon take up the same amount of space in the sky. Due to this, when the moon passes between the Earth and sun, the moon can fully (or partially) block the sun producing a solar eclipse. 
  • How long does an eclipse last for? The entire eclipse event when the moon first intersects with the sun until it passes to the other side lasts about 2 hours. The total eclipse where the moon fully covers the sun lasts only 2 to 3 minutes. Timing is all dependent on where you are located relative to the path of totality.  
  • Are there any other kinds of eclipse that we can see? Yes, lunar eclipses happen when the moon is in the earth’s shadow. These occur more often – about twice a year – during the early morning hours. The moon appears red during lunar eclipses as red light is scattered off the earth’s atmosphere and is projected on the moon hidden from sunlight. 

Ms. Martin also travelled to see the solar eclipse to be in a more direct path of totality. 

1. Where did you travel to see the solar eclipse? We were near Ashland, Maine near the end of the eclipses’ path of totality. 
  2. What was your goal of seeing there? Was it different than what we would see in Maryland? We chose Maine to observe the eclipse as it was in the path of totality but also to visit family who live there. Our family viewed the eclipse from the top of a mountain which provided a unique perspective watching the shadow approach. Experiencing a total solar eclipse is a completely different experience than seeing a partial eclipse which was observable in Maryland. During totality you are able to take off your solar eclipse glasses and view the sun’s atmosphere. The sky was dark, and you could also see Venus and Jupiter in the daytime sky. This was my first time seeing a total solar eclipse. It was a truly amazing experience! 
  3. Did you experience full totality? Yep! Maine was originally not predicted to be a good location because of historic spring climate patterns. But, in the week leading up to the eclipse weather forecasts turned, making Maine one of the best locations to be. Many scientists changed their eclipse plans to travel to Maine in order to see it.  
  4. Were there any festivities around that area that was something new you got to experience? We chose a more remote spot in Northern Maine climbing a mountain for the eclipse. It was surprisingly packed with about 100 people total who made the climb to the top. The nearest big celebration was in Houlton, Maine which we did not attend their festivities but did visit the town two days later. There is a 40-mile scaled solar system model scavenger hunt which began in the town and ended at the airport where we departed.  
  5. If you could describe the experience in one word what would it be and why? It is truly an indescribable experience. Being able to see such a rare event, watching the changes in landscape and nature moving through the eclipse stages, directly observing the sun, sharing the excitement with others … it gives you all the feels. I’m pretty sure we all used the word “amazing” about 100 times that day for lack of a better word to describe the experience.  
  6. Are you hoping to experience a solar eclipse like that again? If I’m lucky enough! The next several total solar eclipses will not occur in North America. The next total solar eclipse to cross the US will occur in 2045.

Mrs. Martin got to see the eclipse in a very cool way! Another one of our teachers, Mrs. Truszkowski, travelled to see the solar eclipse! 

1. Where did you travel to see the solar eclipse? I traveled to Buffalo, New York along with my husband, parents, and son for a long weekend. We spent one day in Niagara Falls, Canada since it’s only a half hour away. 
  2. What was your goal of seeing there? Was it different than what we would see in Maryland? My parents are solar eclipse “chasers.”  They saw their first solar eclipse in Europe.  In 2017, my husband and I traveled with them to Columbia, SC so that we could experience 100% totality. It was my first solar eclipse.  We made a vacation out of it.  This summer, my parents saw that the US would be experiencing another solar eclipse.  They looked on the path of totality and chose a fun city that we could go visit. We agreed on Buffalo, NY, also home of the original Buffalo wing! 
  3. Did you experience full totality? During the full solar eclipse, it got very dark, like nighttime. The temperatures also dropped, and I needed to put my coat on. 
  4. Were there festivities around that area that was something new you got to experience? The whole city of Buffalo seemed to be in on the eclipse action. Even the local Wegman’s closed for 30 minutes during totality so that the employees could enjoy it. We watched the eclipse at a park in front of the famous historic Richarson Hotel. There were street vendors, giveaways, food trucks and a live band. I bought an Eclipse cup! My son played with his free eclipse frisbee. Everyone spread out blankets and lawn chairs across the common area. Some people even had long telescopes. 
  5. If you could describe the experience in one word what would it be and why? Breathtaking. To think how rare it is to have the Earth, moon, and sun all align. 
  6. Are you hoping to experience a solar eclipse like that again? YES! I want to carry on my parents’ tradition. There is a full solar eclipse in 2028 in Sydney, Australia. We luckily have family there, so that would be my dream to travel there to see the next one!