The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Appreciating MLK Day

I Have a Dream Because He had a Dream

January 15th, 1929: the day Martin Luther King Jr., a man whose effect on the world can never be forgotten, was born. He had religious Baptist parents from the American South: Martin Luther King Sr. And Alberta Williams-King. King Jr. was described as an ordinary kid, but he would grow up to be an immeasurably influential figure in the American Civil Rights movement, and an inspiration for many. Born in an era of unchecked discrimination manifesting through Jim Crow Laws (state and local legislation allowing discrimination against Americans of African descent) and general social policy. In the early 1900s, only some 44.5% of African American adults were at all literate.  

When King was born, people of African descent in America were not allowed to share schools, restaurants, train cars, or other facilities under the principle of “separate but equal” accommodations for people of color and white people (established by Plessy v Fergusen (1896)). Today, in the eyes of the law, all people regardless of race, ethnicity, and religion are seen as equals; for that, we have some Civil Rights icons to thank. Among them is Martin Luther King Jr. whom we honor with a national holiday falling on or around his birthday in January. 

MLK led the Montgomery Bus Boycott, the March on Washington, and helped spearhead the Birmingham Campaign. Because of his efforts, he became the youngest person to have received a Nobel Peace Prize in his time. Most famously, King delivered his I Have a Dream speech to over 25,000 people in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC. He showed the world, particularly Americans, the power of protest through civil disobedience. 

After you wake up late Monday, January 15th this year, think about the struggle, perseverance, and creativity that led to your opportunity to sleep in. We get to dream because a man living in a grim time had the audacity to dream first.