The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

St. Matthew’s Light Show

A Merry and Bright Display

Every December, St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church opens a festive holiday light show to the public. The show begins the day after Thanksgiving and concludes on New Year’s Eve. Every evening, the light show runs from 6-9pm. 10,000 lights are synchronized to Christmas songs, pulsing along to the beat, accompanying the music, and creating an unforgettable holiday experience. 

The lights create displays surrounding the back of the church and facing the tree-lined lot. Cars back into the spots, some trucks pulling in so their inhabitants can pile into the truck bed to watch the show. A sign on the drive in directs viewers to tune in to radio station 107.1, which plays the music that corresponds with the lights. The music changes nightly, allowing viewers to watch multiple versions of the show. The options consist of classic Christmas songs such as “All I Want for Christmas Is You” and “Mary Did You Know?” as well as remixes like a pop version of “Deck the Halls” and a techno “Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy.” 

The lights form an impressive and versatile display. A chain of lights wraps around the edge of the lot, preventing trespassers from coming too close. A tall tree is the centerpiece, covered with small bulbs that light up to create animations and pictures to accompany the lyrics. Trees, circular wreaths, and a manger scene also fill the lawn, but the highlight was the set of four light bulbs to the left of the main tree. Each one had a smiling face whose mouth moved along to the lyrics—one as the main singer and the others harmonizing in the background. 

St. Matthew’s uses this event as a community evangelical outreach as well as entertainment. Thirty minutes into the presentation, the music paused for a retelling of the Christmas story, backed by a poignant rendition of “Silent Night.” During the break, viewers are invited to St. Matthew’s Sunday church, and Christmas Eve and Day services. Additionally, the woman mentions that during Friday, Saturday, and Sunday shows, the church is open for visitors to come in for hot cocoa and cookies and to see a train garden.