The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Preserving Palestine’s Past and Present

Palestine is a beautiful country with a rich history dating back to biblical times. The city of Bethlehem, where Jesus is said to have been born, lies within the modern-day Israeli-occupied West Bank of Palestine. An area that is specifically home to many beautiful historical sites is Gaza. However, as many know, despite being a place of remarkable beauty, since October 7th, Palestine’s Gaza strip has been a site for incredible tragedy. The bombardment of Gaza by the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) after Hamas’ October 7th terrorist attack has resulted in constant destruction of not only lives, but history and culture as well.  

For one, the Omari Mosque, or The Great Mosque of Gaza, has been left in ruins. The several-ages-old site was a Philistine temple used by the Byzantines, a mosque in the 7th century, a Christian church from 1149, until being rebuilt as a mosque in the 13th century by the Mamluks. Over the years, it has withstood much damage and been rebuilt and repurposed more times than you can count, but in recent history it took another hit that feels especially brutal. On December 7th, 2023, the Omari Mosque was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike, leaving only the minaret intact.  

One of the oldest churches in the middle east, the fifth-century Byzantine church in Jabalia was destroyed by the ongoing Israeli bombardment of Gaza. This beautiful 1600-year-old church was opened to the public on January 24 of 2022. Having had so little time to be learned about by people of this age, it is truly tragic to see the further destruction of history that was only recently made known to the world.  

Even beyond historical sites, culture itself has been destroyed during this time of destruction. Streets once radiating with life have been left desolate and full of mourning. The delineate destruction of not only the people of Palestine, but the culture and history is truly beyond comprehension, frankly unable to be understood in words alone, much less those of some 15-year-old who has not seen these atrocities firsthand. 

Despite terrible situations over several generations under an Israeli apartheid, peaceful resistance still exists. For example, the character Handala, a simple sketch of a boy with spiky hair who faces away from the viewer, was created. He personifies the Palestinian people’s struggle. He wears scruffy clothes and stands barefoot to symbolize allegiance to the poor. He is eternally a ten-year-old to symbolize the age of Naji al-Ali, the artist, when he was forced to leave his homeland- and only when he is able to return, can he continue aging.  

The destruction of life, history, and culture in Gaza is beyond what can be portrayed sufficiently in one piece alone. However, the spirit of Palestinians and those around the world who amplify their voices can be found in abundance. The situation for Palestinians and Israelis alike is something that should never happen, but it is incredibly important to be informed of the past and present of these beautiful countries and their people.