The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The High Cost of Higher Education

As seniors approach the end of the school year and prepare for college, acceptance letters have started to comein and the idea of college is becoming a reality. College may seem like fresh freedom as teensbecome independent adults that are no longer attached to their parents. But the heavy financialburden that comes with an education and said freedom is often not considered. The average loandebt borrowed for a four-year bachelor’s degree was $30,500 in 2019-2020, which takes studentsanywhere from five to twenty years to re-pay. From these facts the question arises whethercollege is worth the financial burden and overload?

The amount of acquired student debt is completely unrealistic when compared to the cost ofliving, for the average college graduate, which can range anywhere from $2,500 to $3,500 amonth, which equates to at least $30,000 a year. This is absurd when in contrast to the yearlysalary of the average bachelor holder which is $50,000. This leaves a very small amount ofmoney to go into debt.

Overall college debt is completely impractical and a terrible way to start out an independentlifestyle. In my opinion college debt is not worth it and should be one of the major priorities ofthe government.