The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Menace on the Court

Female Athlete of the Month

Junior Carley Jehnert, a three-sport athlete as well as an academic weapon, can do it all. Whether

it comes to excelling in her high school classes or being absolutely shredded, she is your girl. As a key leader and captain on the girls’ basketball team, she has proven herself to be worthy of receiving the title of Female Athlete of the Month. Small but deadly, standing at just 5 feet and 3 inches, Jehnert is able to maneuver with fluidity all over the court, and has had a season high of 15 points along with receiving “Player of the Game” twice.

Her passion for the game began when she started playing at just seven years old. It’s a sport that I found so enticing and fun to play,” said Jehnert. She reflects on the struggles that her team encountered last season and her goal as a team is to bring their life back and to continuously improve their performance. As for herself, she hopes to serve as a leader for the team after missing half of last year’s season due to an injury. “I think it is really important to lead by example, as it can inspire others to do the same,” said Jehnert, “my goal essentially this year is to be a floor general, and lead through constant heart and hustle.

When it comes to pregame rituals, Jehnert is not the superstitious type. She has noticed that her best games come from the result of different preparations, and she prefers to go with the flow and what she feels in that moment. However, she makes sure to listen to Forever by Drake, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and Eminem before every game. Give it a listen, maybe one day, you can be like Carley Jehnert.