The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Transformation of Harford Mall

A Concerning Proposal For Bel Air

The Harford Mall, A landmark of Bel Air for over 50 years, is on the line for a significant transformation. CBL properties, the mall’s owner, is proposing to convert the landmark into a 249-unit mixed- use apartment complex, complete with a new parking garage. This proposal has raised serious concerns among locals, including myself. 

The Harford Mall, once a place that was filled, currently has only two of the ten open spaces filled. While the mall’s decline is unfortunate, the proposed solution seems to miss the mark. Instead of revitalizing the mall by attracting popular retailers, the plan aims to overhaul the entire structure, potentially causing more harm than good. CBL properties plan involves a massive restructuring of the mall, including the construction of a parking garage within the mall lot. One of the major concerns of this plan is the increase in traffic. Bel Air already experiences a fair amount of congestion, and the introduction of an apartment complex and parking garage could exacerbate the situation significantly.  

The proposed plan, in my opinion, seems far from successful. It overlooks the potential of the mall and the negative impact on our town’s traffic situation. Instead of turning it into a mixed-use apartment complex, efforts should be made to attract popular retailers to fill spaces. I decided to ask around at school, getting opinions from both students and teachers, about what stores they’d like to see fill the open spots in the mall. One teacher, Mr. Faber, said he’d like to see Dicks Sporting Goods. Meanwhile, students Kalliana Wandemberg and Keira Reyes had some different ideas. They suggested a variety of clothing stores like Cotton On, Aerie, Pac Sun, and Lululemon. It’s clear that everyone has their own ideas about what would make the mall a more exciting place to visit. Ultimately, my hope is for a solution that respects the needs of our Bel Air community.