Why Plexiglass is Ineffective at the Lunch Tables

Nicole Butterworth

Coronavirus restrictions has forced the school to take desperate measures to keep their students safe. One of the ways they have done this is by spending a lot of money on Plexiglass to put on the lunch tables; but I don’t think the Plexiglass is effective.

The Plexiglass dividers are supposed to protect students, but the only way they are protective is if the person is leaning all the way forward. The sides of the dividers only go to the end of the table, so it exposes the student to the person sitting next to them. Another reason Plexiglass is ineffective is because unless cleaned regularly, the Plexiglass is germ infested. There is only five minutes between each lunch which isn’t enough time for the janitors to clean each table and the Plexiglass. Students push the Plexiglass off the table onto the dirty floor where it collects germs. The purpose of the Plexiglass is to help protect students from germs, but it exposes them to even more germs. Finally, the Plexiglass makes it hard for students to communicate with their peers. After being virtual for a year, students missed out on socializing and lunch is one of the only times students can socialize with their peers.

In conclusion, the Plexiglass on the lunch tables is ineffective. The money spent on Plexiglass could have been used for more beneficial things such as air conditioning in the gym, books, school supplies and equipment that will help keep the school clean.