The Pony Express

Prom Cost Reality

Back to Article
Back to Article

Prom Cost Reality

Seniors Ball Dress Formal Prom Gown Dance Hair

https://www.maxpixel.net/

https://www.maxpixel.net/

https://www.maxpixel.net/

Lauren Dooling

Prom season is an extremely exciting time and it is easy to get lost in the dresses, shoes and the fact that it is one of the last times you will be with all your high school friends. Although maybe try to take a step back and really look at what you buy and what else you may really need more before you spend all your money on one night because, for many, it can easily become a $1000 night.  

It wouldn’t be right to flat out say that people shouldn’t spend a large amount of money on prom because everyone can decide for themselves. It is instead a way to look at future costs in order to dictate what amount of money is appropriate for a single night.  

As this is senior year there are multiple expenses that should be looked at before a prom dress including the senior sweats, senior package, cap and gown, college applications, and the makeup, hair, nails and tickets for prom. Although it may not seem like a lot for these things individually, the money really starts to add up.  

There are also things that are coming up soon that to some, may seem more important than prom. This can include college expenses such as tuition, room and board, a food plan, and textbooks. For some colleges these are extremely expensive, and some seniors may have to pay for a part or all these costs themselves. 

Although not all seniors are going to expensive schools there are still costs after high school that should be saved up for, whether students are going in state, HCC or right into a job. This includes costs for food, gas, and school books. Along with any costs that some parents no longer pay for once a student is in college or have a job such as cell phone bills, car insurance, and maybe even car payments. 

One option student can choose is to pay less for their prom night and save for the future. Students can choose whatever they what to do when it comes to this night, but this is one option that may help save some money. Make sure to look around before buying a dress and look for the best deal because some shops have expensive dresses because of their name but somewhere else could have the same dress for less. In addition, another way to save money on prom night is doing hair and makeup yourself or getting one done and doing the other. This will save money and these things realistically only stay in place for the pictures at the beginning of the night. Also, maybe think twice about how much you spend on accessories like shoes, because let’s be honest, those are probably coming off right away!