The Pony Express

Winter Activities

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Activities

Paige Antal

During the winter season, there seems to be nothing to do around Bel Air, but there are many hidden treasures around. If you are planning on staying close, Longwood Gardens is a pretty venue to visit with friends and family. They have many different displays including a Meadow Garden Boardwalk, light display, Mediterranean Garden, Garden Railway (model train set ups), Silver Garden, and fire pits. 

For students who like skiing, snowboarding, and tubing there are many different resorts to visit that are relatively close for weekend or day trips. There is the Wisp Resort in Deep Creek, Maryland which have many activities including a mountain coaster. The resort is about three hours away and they have a variety of packages with reasonable prices. Roundtop is another popular resort which is in Pennsylvania only a short drive from here and many students have already taken day trips there. Along with Liberty, a very similar ski resort in Pennsylvania that includes a hotel where you can spend the weekend. 

A unique resort is Massanutten which is open year-round that includes an indoor water park with pools, hot tubs and water slides. There is also a big selection of activities to do outside for people who would rather ski, snowboard, or go snow tubing. This resort is located in Virginia and have many events coming up soon. 

The closest place to visit is the Baltimore Harbor which always has things to do, but during the winter there is the ice rink and the activities that are already there including the National Aquarium and the Maryland Science Center. A shopping center to visit would be white marsh that has put in an outside ice rink surrounded by restaurants and small shops. 

So if it seems like there is nothing to do during the winter every year check out a couple of these places.