The Pony Express

Stage Wright Presents… 

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stage Wright Presents… 

Katelyn O’Connor 

Stage Wright has completed their two days of open auditions for the fall musical… Little Shop of Horrors!  

Little Shop of Horrors features various styles of entertainment all wrapped up into one show. The horror comedy rock musical, which also will features various dance styles such as jazz and doo-wop, is sure to entertain any audience. With the music composed by Alan Menken, who is also the composer for productions such as The Little Mermaid, Newsies, Beauty and the Beast, A Christmas Carol, and more, and the script written by Howard Ashman, who is best known for his work on The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast, audiences will not cease to be entertained.  

The scene is set in the 1960s in an impoverished town. The story starts centered around Seymour Krelborn, who is a poor young man living on the streets. Seymour’s romantic obsession with his co- worker, Audrey, is what really gets the story moving though. The two both work at Mushnik’s Skid Row Florists, which appears to be just a dingy, old, flower shop. At the little flower shop, we are introduced to Seymour’s second love, Audrey II. Audrey II, however, happens to be a large Venus Flytrap. She lives at the shop and is also hopelessly in love with Seymour, or at least Seymour’s blood. One prick of the finger and Seymour quickly realizes he doesn’t have any ordinary plant on his hands.  You’ll have to see the production to see the hows and whys.

With this amazing production team’s work, the Stage Wright rendition of Little Shop of Horrors will not be one to miss. Mr. Karolenko will be coaching vocals for the production. Exciting choreography featuring various styles of jazz, musical theater, and doo- wop will be put together by Ms. Christ. Dr. Frisch will be contributing his expertise to the musical through his direction of the pit band. All backstage communications will be handled by stage manager and student, Corrine Donnelly. Last, but certainly not least, Ms. Bullis and Ms. Malesh will be co- directors for the production.  

The cast list and their bios is forthcoming.  Clear your calendar now.