The Pony Express

Italian Football’s Future Relies on the Development of the Youngsters

Matteo Colamonaco

Italy’s failure to qualify for the upcoming World Cup in Russia exposes many flaws in the national team. Lack of commitment, desire and passion. Those three things have always been in Italy’s DNA, so what happened to a squad that, if they were to qualify for it, would have definitely made a deep run in the tournament?

Italy’s first mistake was appointing Gian Piero Ventura as the manager. Ventura had managed a total of 15 clubs before the Italy job. The only club that he had somewhat impressed at was his most recent, Torino, who he guided to a Europa League spot for the northern Italian side.

Impressive to lead a small club to a European competition, true, but being the manager of a national team is a much different beast to tame.  Nonetheless Italy is one of the most successful nations in the history of the sport.

With the appointment of Ventura came a lack of good formations. Often playing a 4-2-4 formation, Italy’s 2 midfielders were often overrun by teams who usually play with 3 or even 4 midfielders. With Italy’s midfielders being completely taken over, this caused the front 4 of the attack to be starved of any sort of service.

When they did get the ball in the attacking third of the field, Italy lacked a true striker. In recent years, they have been blessed to have strikers such as Vieri, Inzaghi, Toni, and even Balotelli who, at club level has under-performed, has thrived in the national team.

In the team now, the strikers consist of Belotti and Immobile, who at club level are playing amazing football, but have yet to deliver for the country. Other than those two strikers, the quality just isn’t there. They also have Eder, who is backup to Mauro Icardi at his club Inter Milan.

The club also has Mario Balotelli, someone I had mentioned before. Balotelli is a tricky one, because his club performances have been underwhelming to say the least. That is until this season. Scoring 22 goals in 33 games in all competitions for OGC Nice in France, Balotelli has openly stated his discontent in not being called up for recent friendlies against Argentina and England, and rightfully so.

Often seen as a liability due to his laziness, childishness and an ill-tempered personality, Balotelli can be viewed in a very poor light, because of past decisions. He would usually be cautioned by the referee, before eventually receiving a red car. However, since arriving in France, Balotelli has only received one red card, and it was for a poor timed challenge. Nothing cynical, nothing purposely meant to hurt anyone, nothing ill-tempered, just a mistake.

Balotelli has been seen avoiding altercations with other players who have attempted to get him going, which, for many people, is a sign that the once titled “next big Italian striker,” has finally started to grow up, and perhaps deserves a national team recall.

As the nation attempts to figure out their goal scoring situation, they also need to find a new manager. Luigi Di Biagio, who has played for Roma and Inter Milan and the Italian national team, is the current caretaker as the Federation begin to look for a new coach.

Some big names are being mentioned. Names such as Carlo Ancelotti, Roberto Mancini, Claudio Ranieri and even a possible return of Antonio Conte.

It seems as if fans have their minds set and want Carlo Ancelotti. The manager has won titles with AC Milan, Real Madrid and most recently with Bayern Munich, but has yet to manage a national team. Ancelotti is reportedly turning down multiple clubs, including Paris Saint Germain and former club AC Milan in hopes of receiving a managerial offer from the Italian national team.