The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

Affordable Care Act

Georgia Hamann

After Donald Trump’s inauguration, many things have changed. And, as is evident, change can cause much turmoil and difference in opinion. Such is the case of the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare or the ACA) and its potential repeal.

The ACA was established in March of 2010 and then upheld by the Supreme Court in 2012. Open Enrollment for the program started in November 2016 and ended on January 31st 2017, and users will be able to keep their insurance with Obamacare for about a year.

The Affordable Care Act provided users with numerous provisions. It allowed more citizens to have healthcare by making it mandatory for businesses to provide care, as well as establishing a minimum income level for application. The cost of this insurance was cheaper than many private insurances. The ACA also provided healthcare to all genders, without making it more expensive for one than the other. It allowed young adults to stay on their parents’ plan until they reached the age of 26. In addition, it provided subsidies on health care based on income, so the less you made, the less you had to pay in your taxes.

Many people had a positive experience through the ACA. The ACA meant that more Americans had healthcare plans. People with preexisting conditions were required to be covered by their employers and there would be no time limit for the plan, where before it would be hard for people with conditions such as cancer to get and keep healthcare. The Affordable Care Act has allowed people to get proper health care and medical treatment, which can save their lives.

However, many others held negative views of the ACA. The new system meant that there were new taxes to be paid, and there could be potential fines for not having the insurance. Businesses were required to provide the insurance, so many of them cut back on employee hours or fired some of their staff. Also, some individuals disapproved of the coverage of abortions and birth control, among other things, through the ACA. They did not want to pay taxes to fund the coverage of something that they did not personally agree with.

With Donald Trump’s new role as President, he has stated plans to change or remove the Affordable Care Act. It is likely that he will move to privatize the plan. This could mean that numerous people will end up with no insurance, since private plans tend to be more expensive. This also means that some medical care that is topic of controversy will result in not being covered by insurance policies. Any number of the provisions from the ACA could be removed. Even so, this could also mean that people can get their insurance from any variable of different providers, rather than mostly from the government.

Donald Trump has not come out with details of his healthcare plan yet, but it will be interesting to see what happens.