The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

Pay to Play Update for Drama

Karigan Wright

On January 24th, 2017, as a result of several student protests, the Harford County Board of Education decided to rescind the $100 pay to play fee for drama. While theater students reacted with joy, several groups of students took to social media to express their confusion and anger. Students who happened to be athletes, expressed their opinion of how drama should have a pay to play fee, since sports does. Many students do not know that Harford County has a sports budget of roughly $3,000,000, while the theatre department does not get any funding from the county.

HCPS pays for sports teams, providing pay for coaches, funds for uniforms, transportation, equipment, and more. The theatre department, however, has to pay for almost everything. The money for buying the rights to shows, concessions, and costumes, all comes from the student’s money and the money the department has raised through previous ticket sales. This is where the main issue of pay to play arises. Money raised through pay to play goes back to the county, which is divided among several things including the sports budget. Athletes directly benefit from this extra cost while drama students do not benefit. Drama students were paying $100 a year to be in a show, whether they are the lead or happen to be in one ensemble scene. In addition to the pay to play fee, cast members also had to provide portions of their own costumes, make up, hair accessories, and more.

Along with rescinding the fee, HCPS also made the decision to keep swimming for the next school year. While this is great for students, the question of where the money to keep swimming will be coming from arises. There is a rumor in Harford County that the school board’s pay to play announcement came as a way to stop protests and satisfy people for now. The money to keep swimming has to come from somewhere, and the $50,000 in revenue from drama pay to play seems like a good place. The rumor includes a thought that the board will announce the fee coming back late at night, like they previously did last year, at 11:30 pm.

While it feels good to celebrate this victory, it is hard to ignore the negativity from other students and the lurking possibility of drama’s pay to play being reinstated next year. Hopefully, the Thespians’ hard work pays off and HCPS keeps their promise of a theatre department without pay to play.