The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

Let’s Get Fancy (in a timely fashion)

Cara Blanton

The countdown has begun and it is a rather bittersweet one. For seniors, the year is flying by and it is not stopping for anyone. With spring sports starting in a month, variety show at the end of this month and senior week plans, it is no wonder talks of prom and prom dresses have come up. The prom dress page on Facebook is up and running for all the girls in the class of 2017 to share dresses and to make sure that no two girls have the same dress. Prom is the 13th of May and girls are starting to make appointments at local boutiques, and even bridal shops, to find their beloved dress. Now, the question that comes to mind is, is it too early to start shopping for a dress?

Alena Garner and Lauren Fortuna, two senior girls, have already bought their prom dresses. Though this might seem early for some, they feel that buying their dresses four months early has many advantages to it.

Lauren says that when you are buying your dress earlier than normal, you have a much better selection because most people have not bought theirs yet. She says that this gives you a better chance of not having the same dress as someone else, which can sometimes be a problem.

Alena agreed with Lauren when she said there is more of a selection of dresses this early in the prom season, but she also had some more input for us. Alena says that the boutiques and dress shops are usually much less crowded earlier in the prom season, leaving you feeling less rushed around the store by others trying to shop as well. It makes what could be a rather stressful shopping day, a little less stressful. In addition, most girls usually have to get their dresses altered because they run so long, so when you buy your dress earlier, you have much more time to get your dress altered. Not only will boutiques and dress shops be busy, but places that perform alterations will be booming with business as well.

Starting to dress shop this month may seem too early to start but with a better selection, smaller crowds, and more time for alterations, it seems to be the least stressful way to go!