The student news site of C. Milton Wright High School

The Pony Express

What to Consider on College Visits

Julianna Simon

College visits…it’s one of the most exciting yet potentially scary experiences for high school students.

Visits to a favorite college may lift a weight off of students’ shoulders and from that moment on they know where they want to go.

However, for people who are extremely undecided about where they want to go and what they want to major in, this experience can be beyond overwhelming.

It is important to be prepared when visiting a potential college and figure out what exactly fits a student and feels like home. There are certain things a person should take into consideration when visiting a potential college.

Price/scholarships:  Something to take into consideration is the tuition rates for in-state and out-of-state, their financial aid programs and whether the school is known to give out scholarships for students to help afford the education. This is probably the most important thing to consider.

The size: The size of the school can completely impact the college experience. If a student is  looking for a school where the class sizes are relatively small and there is a lot of one-on-one help with a professor, a large school might not be the best option (although most big schools definitely still offer this). Depending on the school, big colleges might offer more clubs, activities, restaurants and weekend options. It’s all about what feels best and comfortable to the student.

Greek Life:  An important question to ask the tour guide is how much of the population is involved in Greek life? Depending on this statistic, it can impact the feel of the college. If a student is not interested in Greek life, they probably shouldn’t attend a school where over half of the population is involved. It might make that student feel obligated to join. For a student who is very set of being involved in Greek life, they will want a school where Greek life is a part of the college. For example, University of Delaware has about 30% of the population involved with Greek life. This is a great statistic because it allows the students who want to be involved to be involved but for the students who do not, they won’t feel obligated or pressured to join

Food:  For students, this is a really important thing to look for. If the potential school has food that does not appeal to them, they might have a hard time eating healthy and regularly.

Sports: If Saturday football games, college basketball, etc. excite a student and the thought of a prideful school is something that is important, a D1 school might be a great option. For many, sports are a huge deciding factor if they attend the school or not.

Location: If a college has a great campus but not much to do outside of the campus, it may impact the student greatly. Also, the distance from home is a great thing to consider when deciding.